Author’s tour for mini-groups starting from 8 to 15 people.
Italian Tuscany (Toscana) is an amazing region that you should definitely visit at least once in your life. Grape-covered hills, ancient towns scattered around them, the one is more beautiful than another, wonderful Florence, which is impossible to forget. Not only tourists and art lovers come to Tuscany. Tuscany is also an excellent cuisine. Gourmets and life lovers - this tour is for you!
This author's tour is primarily suitable to those, who have already visited Tuscany, but at the end of the trip, it seemed that there was not enough time to spare in there and wanted to stay longer to feel once again the beauty and romance of the incomparable Tuscany.
Accommodation is in the city of Cortona. Why? Because it is one of the most romantic places in the Apennines peninsula. It was not by chance that the romantic film “Under the Tuscan Sun” was filmed here. Besides, it is the most Etruscan city. The beauty of the panorama at 360 degrees. The Val Di Chiana Valley and Lake Trasimeno are seen very well from here. And also nice and cozy taverns and restaurants with real Tuscan cuisine. It is possible to continue the list…
Dates of travel:
02.03. - 09.03.2019. 25.05. - 01.06.2019.
09.03. - 16.03.2019. 07.09. - 14.09.2019.
16.03. - 23.03.2019. 14.09. - 21.09.2019.
23.03. - 30.03.2019. 21.09. - 28.09.2019.
30.03. - 06.04.2019. 28.09. - 05.10.2019.
06.04. - 13.04.2019. 05.10. - 12.10.2019.
13.04. - 20.04.2019. 12.10. - 19.10.2019.
20.04. - 27.04.2019. 19.10. - 26.10.2019.
27.04. - 04.05.2019. 26.10. - 02.11.2019.
04.05. - 11.05.2019. 28.12.2019. - 04.01.2020.
11.05. - 18.05.2019. 04.01.2019. - 11.01.2020.
18.05. - 25.05.2019.
Duration: 8 days / 7 nights
Route: Umbria and Tuscany: Cortona – Monteriggioni – Perugia – wineries of Strozzi and Antinori – craft cheese factory in Tuscany
Hotel on tour:
Cortona city, 4* hotel www.villamarsili.net (or similar)
Offers cost including accommodation in 3* or 4* hotels:
EUR 1540 per person in double room (half board with homemade wine)
EUR 1860 per person in single room (half board with homemade wine)
Discount per person in triple room – 60 EUR per tour.
Offers cost including accommodation in villamarsili.net hotel
EUR 1740 per person in double room (half board with homemade wine)
EUR 2100 per person in single room (half board with homemade wine)
Discount per person in triple room – 60 EUR per tour.
Included in total price:
• 7 nights at the 4* hotel;
• excursion program in Russian;
• guide support;
• transportation to the whole excursion program;
• group transfer: airport of Rome – hotel – Rome, gathering from different flights, expectations are possible, departure from Fiumicino airport – from about 2:30 pm (according to flights AZ7025 from Moscow at 1:20 pm and AZ7213 from St. Petersburg at 12:05 pm.
• degustations and master classes on the program.
In total price are NOT included:
* Health insurance
* Excursion at the Strozzi winery, 4 wines degustation, walking tour of Monteriggioni, transport, guide support (150 EUR per person);
* Cooking master-class in Cortona, dinner with wine, interpreter (150 EUR per person);
* Triffel “hunting”, cooking master-class (dinner making with triffel), dinner, visiting the old printing house, transport, guide support (160 EUR per person).
• Private transfer: Florence airport – hotel – 250 euros (per car, one way);
• Private transfer: Bologna airport – hotel – 350 euros (per car, one way);
• Private transfer: Piza airport – hotel – 350 euros (per car, one way);
• Private transfer: Rome airport – hotel – 350 euros (per car, one way);
• Private transfer: Rimini airport – hotel – 350 euros (per car, one way);
Options to get at the place by yourself:
• Florence airport – Cortona: by bus or a taxi to the train station in Florence (20 minutes) and then by train 1 hour and 20 minutes to Camucia-Cortona station, the cost of tickets starts from 15 euros, then get a taxi to the hotel (15 minutes, 15-20 EUR);
• Bologna airport – Cortona: by bus or a taxi to the train station in Bologna (20 minutes) and then by train 2 hours to the station Camucia-Cortona by switching the trains ir Florence, the cost of tickets starts from 25 euros, then get a taxi to the hotel (15-20 minutes, 15-20 EUR);
• Rome airport – Cortona: directly from Fiumicino airport by train to Termini train station in Rome, 40 minutes on the way, and then by train 2 hours and 20 minutes to Camucia-Cortona, cost of tickets starts from 30 euros, then get a taxi to the hotel (15 minutes, 15-20 EUR);
• Milan airport – Cortona: 50 minutes by bus to Milan Centrale train station, cost of tickets starts from 9 euros, then by train 4 hours to Camucia-Cortona, by changing the train in Florence, cost of tickets starts from 40 euros, then get a taxi to the hotel (15 minutes, 15-20 EUR);
• Piza airport – Cortona: 10 minutes by bus or a taxi to Piza train station, cost of tickets starts from 10 euros, then by train 2 hours and 30 minutes to Camucia-Cortone train station, by changing the train in Florence, cost of tickets starts from 25 euros, then get a taxi to the hotel (15 minutes, 15-20 EUR);
Individual or in small groups – 6-15 persons, groups travel on request.
Best time to visit
+9OC clear sky
Day 1 / Saturday
Transfer from the airport of Rome to the city of Cortona (travel time 2 hours and 40 minutes), accommodation at the hotel, free time.
Day 2 / Sunday
Breakfast at the hotel, starting from 10 am we will begin our acquaintance with the town of Cortona, walking along the narrow and not so streets under the guide's stories about the history and legends of the city. After free time and lunch, we’ll look into the workshops of local craftsmans, who produce not only souvenirs, but also unique shoes and jewelry. So, if you wish, bring with you something from the offer – so there will be something, not only to tell, but also to show and present to your friends and relatives… Spare time.
Further on is the Citerna – a small town on the top of a mountain with a breathtaking view of the slumbering Umbria. Citerna truly is one of the hundred most beautiful small towns in Italy.
A few kilometers from the town of Citerna is a farm where buffaloes are bred. Owners will introduce us to the art of making cheese and will offer you fresh mozzarella and buffalo milk curd. We guarantee – it will be delicious.
Day 3 / Monday
Breakfast at the hotel, at 10 am we will go for a walk along Lake Trasimene, 40 minutes of fabulous views. A little later we will be at the villa, which was built by Cardinal Della Cornia himself in the 16th century. After admiring the architecture and frescoes, we’ll go for a tasting of Umbrian cheese, wine and olive oil.
And then we’ll visit a small production of products from cashmere. We could just watch around or we could buy some fashionable things...
Spare time and going back to Cortona. Use the advantage of free time – visit of one of the taverns, taste a glass of pomegranate Sagrantino vine without any rush, inhale the terrific smells of truffles and lamb on the grill…
Day 4 / Tuesday
Breakfast at the hotel. For those who want, at 10 am we’ll go to the winery of Strozzi (Posner and Urgant told about this family in their film about Tuscany) for an additional fee. But one thing is to see everything on the TV screen and completely another – is to see ancient wineries, vineyards in nature, feel the aromas, and most importantly, taste these magic wines. And on our way we will visit the town of Monteriggioni. It was founded at the very beginning of the 13th century as a fortress to protect Siena from Florence. Gradually, a small town was formed inside the fortress, but outside the thick walls the residents of Monteriggioni did not dare to settle. Thus, the city has not mainly changed since the 15th century.
Day 5 / Wednesday
Breakfast at the hotel. For those keen on the Etruscan theme we offer to visit with our guide the Museum of Etruscan Academy from 10 till 11 am (entrance ticket 10 euros), and at 11 am we’ll go to the winery Antinori (journey time – 30 minutes). There we will not just taste and getting snacks, but also we’ll try to paint pictures with wine – the so-called “VINARELLI”. And it doesn't matter if you are an artist or not, everyone will succeed! We guarantee!
Return to Cortona, a little rest at the hotel is planned and then – let’s go for a work (for those who wish, for an additional fee): we will prepare dinner by ourselves under the strict guidance of a Tuscan chef, and then enjoy it all with local wine!
Day 6 / Thursday
Breakfast at the hotel, at 10 am we’ll leave to the farm (journey time 15 minutes). Tuscan farmer will teach us to cook fresh cheeses ravigiolo and pecorino. Ravigiolo we could taste almost immediately, but pecorino (sheep's milk cheese) each of you will prepare by your own, write down your name, and after a one year, when it will be ready, you can come to Tuscany for it! It will be yours!
Lunch on the farm, and then we leave for the city of Perugia.
And in an hour you will be overwhelmed by two amazing aromas of chocolate and dizzy perfumes. We definitely will taste some chocolate, and also we’ll talk about the perfume, learn how to understand the nuances of aromas in the laboratory of one local master.
Spare time in Perugia, where you can walk through the many shops of branded clothing and shoes…
Return to Cortona.
Day 7 / Friday
Breakfast at the hotel.
For those who wish, at 9 am we’ll go to the "truffle hunt" for an additional fee, the journey time is one hour.
We recommend comfortable sports shoes, with “prey” we’ll move to a cooking master-class on dishes with truffles and of course that we’ll have some lunch from what we have prepared. After lunch we’ll take a look at the neighboring town and visit one of the oldest printing house in Italy. Return to Cortona.
Day 8 / Saturday
Breakfast at the hotel, transfer to Rome airport.
You will take with you not only wonderful impressions, but also a collection of flavors, tastes and sensations that, like the beacons of your memory, will make you remember more clearly and clearly what you have seen, eaten and drunk.
And you will remember all this for a long time...
We really hope that you will take with you the taste of this magic “drink” called Tuscany.
With love – yours AFY TRAVEL.